Tuesday 8 January 2013

Polenta on the run


Speaking of easy lunches (see last post), this plate of crunchy pesto polenta fingers with cherry tomatoes and parsley took about 5 minutes to make.

It tasted sublime - the polenta was a ready made one I bought exactly for this kind of day - when I had literally 10 minutes to make and eat lunch but felt like something warm and tasty. The mellow polenta was soft and unctuous, the pesto had browned crispy bits of pinenuts and cheese, it was sexy-oily but not greasy, the parsley and tomatoes cut clean through the fruity olive oil and salty pesto. It could make a good starter for a dinner party and is definitely on the menu of my virtual (one day maybe) cafe.

I sliced the polenta and fried it in a tablespoon of virgin olive oil and another tablespoon home-made pesto I had in the fridge. I cooked it till bits of pesto went crispy and some stuck to the polenta, turned the slices carefully and then added some quartered cherry tomatoes. I cooked further till the tomatoes had collapsed and released some juices. It didn't need salt as the pesto was well seasoned. Finish with that antiquated king of herbs - curly parsley.
I was alone, so I licked the plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment